Combine Your Hoopsisters Patterns - Learning about Needle Sizes and Uses


Hello Everyone!

Opening with talking about the weather is rather lame - but, WOW - we have been all over the place weather wise!  Never a boring moment this winter...  Everyone please be careful - I have seen more ice on sidewalks this year than I can remember...  I imagine it is just too hard to keep up with the ever changing temperatures!

As I write this blog - I find myself referring to myself - and I imagine you wonder WHO that is.... Well, My name is Maggie and I work for Lynda and Duane in the Woodstock store - and I said I would love to write a blog for the store, so - here I am -

Now - this does not mean I exclusively will be writing it - there is too much talent and education all around me - and I plan on tapping into that and sharing it will all of you. 

Well, lets all stay tucked up in our sewing rooms - and off the ice!
You may recognize the colorful quilt for a couple of reasons. 
#1 - It is hanging in the shop. 
#2 - I have been using it as a background for the Sewing Concepts Blog header!
Well, that background is made from a fun little table topper I made, that combine 1 block from 4 different patterns I have.



You see - I LOVE HoopSisters patterns, and I also love a pattern called New York Beauty - But, I was  - ahem - unwilling to make it with paper piecing ( by hand ) so - I happened to notice -that I could take ONE block from 4 different HoopSisters patterns I had... and combine them to make this!


 The colorful one is  a 5" block (PERFECT for a table topper) and the stunning Black and White is a fabulous wall hanging.   The best thing is that you can CONTINUE this pattern out - and make it as large as you want -
What an amazing way to use your HoopSisters Patterns in another way!!
Here are the 4 patterns I used...   send me a note in the comments if you want to know WHICH square from each patter I used to make these from!!




Antelope Canyon!  Many of you purchased this kit -...  Well - here is ours! 

ALL quilted on the longarm.....
We are having too much fun picking out the different designs that the ProStitcher does on the longarm!
Did You Know - Lynda is doing a live Demonstration on January 27th at 10:00 am - you can watch the longarm do stitching like this - on it's own...  it is pretty cool.  Call the shop @ 815-338-7754 if you'd like to join us!
Yeah!  THANGLES via Karen!!

Karen was supposed to take a crack at the new machine! But, Lynda is actually working on it!
 (Did I mention - the longarm and it's computer ProStictcher is on sale till the end of February??? - well - they are!)  

This is going to be a FABULOUS quilt when it is done - the colors are so fun, and happy..

I can tell you - that there are 5 different patterns being used on this quilt - the main blocks are one pattern, there are 3 different border stitch patterns and the sashing is another  and the cornerstone blocks are yet another!
Stay tuned to watch how Karen's quilt turns out!!  

Would you rather be completely invisible for one day or be able to fly for one day?
Answer this in the comments - they are moderated - so it won't show up - and I will share all our answers in next weeks blog!
  Something I never thought about until I saw it -

Quilting TATTOOs...
As I find them - I will share them...
THIS - my friends, is, 
dedication to Quilting...  
after all - it's permanent!!
Would YOU get a quilting / Sewing Tattoo?  If so, what would you get 
( and where would you put it???)
I (Maggie) would get one...  that is all I have - I do not know what it would be (yet) or where it would go 
(most likely it would be hidden)

  What is the main color used in Amish quilts for over 300 years?  (See Below for answer!)
Sewing Machine Needles 
The most important part of your sewing machine...   

Well, I don't know about all of you - but - I get pretty confused about they many different sewing machine NEEDLES and their sizes.  I was lost on how the numbers worked - well, turns out - they are "bilingual" for want of a better term.  Places in the world that use the metric system - the first set of #'s is in millimeters for them - and the second set of #'s is what we in America use...  and I am having trouble actually defining what that number is - I think it is some sort of standard gauge diameter - but, could be wrong - this is where if any of you have that information - please chime in, and I will share it on next weeks post. 

Metric
USA
Fabric Weight
60
8
Very Fine Synthetics and Cottons
70
10
Net, Chiffon, Nylon Sheers
75
11
Voile, Chiffon, Organza
80
12
Cotton lawn, Taffeta, Silks, Tricots
90
14
Poplin, Chintz, Gabardine. Synthetic Velvet
100
16
Cord, Denim, Gabardine, Heavy Suiting
110
18
Heavy Denim, Leather
120
20
Cord, Denim, Gabardine, Heavy Suiting

Next, there are little colored bands on the tops of many needles, and I wondered what the colors at the top of the needle mean... well, I found these handy little visual guide from Schmedtz needles!    

Schmetz guide to sewing needles - by colour. #sewing
The actual "anatomy" of a needle is a marvel...   all the thought that has gone into the engineering of a needle is astonishing -

It is surprising the actual shape of the needle is so drastically different.



As with anything - there is way more information available regarding just our sewing machine needles - but I thought this was a good "primer" for it.  I imagine we will revisit sewing machine needles in the future, because they are such an important part of sewing!
 
Trivia Answer: Black



Black is a color of modesty to the Amish people and their quilts display this belief. They use only solid color fabric of which the vast majority is the color black. Real Amish quilts are made by hand and are given as gifts for weddings, to celebrate the birth of a child and as a housewarming gift. The designs used by the Amish involve intricate use of color as opposed to intricate use of design.

Until next week all!   Thank you for joining us!!


Sewing Concepts
110 South Johnson Street
Woodstock, Illinois 60098
815-338-7754

194 South Western Avenue (Route #31)
Carpentersville, Illinois 60098
847-836-7800

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the New Sewing Concepts Blog

Classes - Collages - Retreats!